Monday, March 16, 2009

Bike Lady Meet n' Greet in Manahatta at a Bike Shop!

From Bicycle Habitat, where I think we oughta RSVP for the talk?

Women's Night with the Trek Biker Chick

Wednesday evening, March 25, Bicycle Habitat will host Chris Garrison of Trek Bicycles. Wine and cheese will be served along with Chris's expertise. About Chris Space is limited please RSVP to Charlie



Chris Garrison

Chris Garrison "Trek Biker Chick"

About Chris Garrison - 'Trek Biker Chick'

Chris hails from Ocean City NJ. She discovered cycling while living in the Poconos. After summering at the Jersey shore her beach cruiser soon found its way to the mountains to be ridden through the woods and the trails near home. After graduating College she took a Wall Street job with Bloomberg and was there when Mike became Mayor.

She gave that up when “I learned money really isn’t everything”. She moved to Colorado to snowboard and bike. In 2004 she moved to the UK to work at Singletrack Magazine.

In 2005 she got the call from Trek to become Trek’s first Wsd (Women’s Specific Design) ‘biker chick’. She traveled the continent for two years with Chrisiy Redden (World Champ Ex racer for Subaru) spreading the gospel about women and cycling. In 2008 she returned to the Northeast and took over this territory representing Trek’s women’s program.

She sent these factoids, and impressed the heck out of me especially since I think Keith Bontrager is one of the smartest people in cycling.

-I have been Keith Bontrager's 24 hour race mechanic off and on for 10 years. I taught him the value of heckling. He taught me the value of cheap table wine.

-I personally own somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 bikes, scattered across 3 States, and two countries. I have a bike in every port, so to speak.

-As of last year, after taking up downhilling and dirt jumping, the only type of riding that I don't do is BMX.

-My first bike was a Schwinn Fair Lady. It was silver. I took it apart when I was 8.

-I did an MS 150 on my first mountain bike, which was a Trek 7000 given to me for my high school graduation present in 1991. The day after the MS ride, I went and bought my first road bike: a Trek 2300.

No comments:

Post a Comment